Thursday, December 4, 2008

Strong Desires

This morning I watched last nights episode of The Daily Show (we were watching a movie last night, Man on Fire). Sometimes I will tune into another channel when he brings his guest out but this morning I stayed with him just to hear what Arianna Huffington was going to go on about.

For anyone that did not see it, she has written a forward for a new book, The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging, and Jon was helping her pimp the book.

What I found interesting was when she talked about what people should blog about, that being things they are passionate about.

When I create a post it is generally about something that I might be serious about, something silly that I make fun of or just something that has pissed me off and I'm serious and may even make fun of it or them. I never really thought about "passionate composition", especially since I have never really had a single, all consuming passion (well maybe except for golf).

According to the online version of the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the origin of passion appears to come from the Latin, pati - to suffer. This would imply that if you become passionate about something you will suffer and with the current state of my golf game I can understand that. Of course, passion is also associated with love which can also lead to suffering.

Anyway, before I get so involved in defining passion I forget what I wanted to say, I started thinking about a few things in my life that I was passionate about. The obvious, even though I did not (and still don't) always show it I have been and remain passionate about my family. Many times it appeared that I was more passionate about my work but that is far from true.

When I was but a wee lad, I was passionate about baseball, I would play the game at every opportunity, why I even took some $$ from my dad's wallet to buy some cleats (I got caught after the fact).

As a teenager, I was passionate about my baseball card collection that somehow was sold at a flea market while I was away from home but I was also passionate about surfing and skateboarding.

Now my passion (again aside from golf) is my desire to spend my remaining time with my family, a passion so far denied but hopefully soon to come.

P.S. If you Google passion the first hit is for passion.com, a site for private sexy personals. I wonder how they decide on what to put at the top of the list?

No comments: