Friday, August 24, 2007

Match Play

Today I am going to have some fun. I’m going to pretend that I’m Tiger Woods and try to win my first match play event. Up until Wednesday I did not know if I would play or not, just had not decided because I usually only play Monday through Friday and leave the weekend for those poor souls that have to work during the week.

I don’t really care if I win, I just like the competition (bullshit). When they set the pairings, they pair those with like handicaps together. The person I will play has a handicap that is 2 strokes lower than mine. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, that means that on average, he is better than I am.

Par (the number of strokes it takes to get the ball in the hole through 18 holes) at my golf club is 72. While my average score is 91, lately I have been scoring in the mid 80’s (which by the way was my goal for this year). But in match play, none of this really matters beyond the confidence I have gained.

In match play all you have to do is complete a hole in one less stroke than your opponent. The winner of the match will have won more holes than there are left to play or there could be tie after 18 holes. If the match is tied after 18 holes, the match continues until someone wins a hole. The winner moves on to play on Saturday, the loser goes home. For once, I would like to play on Saturday.

2 comments:

sybil law said...

Good luck!!!!

Bubblewench said...

Go Papa K! You can do it! Here's to playing on a Saturday!