Tuesday, September 4, 2007

NPR

I like to listen to NPR, mostly while riding down the road. Today, on my way to, where else but the golf course, I heard a discussion on a new book on the Marshall Plan. If you remember any of your post WWII history, you should recognize this, it's implementation was responsible for putting Europe back together after everyone had so much fun tearing in up in the 30's and 40's.

The book,The Most Noble Adventure: The Marshall Plan and the Time When America Helped Save Europe was written by Greg Behrman. As the discussion evolved, the unavoidable comparison with Afghanistan and Iraq was brought up. Mr. Behrman seemed to think that a type of Marshall Plan would be a viable option but I'm not really convinced that the situations are similar enough to make it work. So, over the next few days I am going to do some learning, refreshing my knowledge on post WWII Europe and why the plan put together by George C. Marshall was so successful and if there is something there that can be used to get us out of the mess we have created in those countries.

One thing I do already know is that the current administration is not capable of rebuilding a cabin made of Lincoln Logs let alone any country.

More to come.

2 comments:

mielikki said...

hmm
I will look forward to seeing what you think after these next few days of reading. . .

Bubblewench said...

Can't wait to see your theories.. and rants regarding this.