Friday, June 13, 2008

Shame on Them

On Wednesday evening four young men died as the result of a tornado that wiped out a Boy Scout camp near Little Sioux, Iowa while they were attending a leadership camp out. Forty-eight others at the camp were injured, some seriously.

There were approximately 125 people at the campsite when the tornado hit so I guess we should be thankful that only four lost their life.

While the loss of any life is a true tragedy, the real tragedy here is that on Thursday the scout leadership was out soliciting funds. I know of this because a fellow golfer told me a representative of the scouts stopped by his office today asking for donations.

This to me is an obvious attempt to take advantage of a very tragic event. Shame on the Midwest Council of the Boy Scouts of America, you do not represent the true meaning of scouting, instead you only show callous greed in your effort to capitalize on this sad event.

1 comment:

mielikki said...

I whole heartedly agree.